Wednesday, October 8, 2008

You never know what the day will bring or who you'll meet....

One of the cool things about my job or lack there of, is that I have thrown myself into every community group (thanks in part to the Social Worker) in Outjo. I’m a member of our CACOC, HIV/AIDS Support Group, People Living With Disabilities Committee, Coalition on Responsible Drinking, Literacy Promoters and other things that I can’t even remember the name of anymore. This week I was told that I was now a honorary member of the Pensioners Committee, a committee who works for the benefit and needs of community members over the age of 80. I thought, why not, it seems right up my ally, right?

During the committee meeting I was able to follow a little of Damara and Afrikaans and caught that I was introduced about 13 times. I also understood that I was being introduced because I was going to be taking photos of the elders the following day. I have to be honest the idea of trying to find all elders in town, the 7 locations and squatter areas did not sound like too fun but I was really wrong.

I showed up at the Councilor’s office early in the morning so that the Councilor would drive the community activist (who also oversees the Pensioner’s Committee) and I around for the day as we tried to find each community elder. It was like a large game of hide-and-go-seek. Some of the locations were easy as a few elders or care-takers had gathered up a few in one or two spots. Other locations we had to go house by house looking for where “Johannes” was (for example).

Along the trip I was informed with how each location got it’s name and also some background information on some of the elders. Throughout the day I believe I met around 50 elderly, most being over the 90 years of age. At first I thought, wow, I don’t think I’ve ever met someone this old, and now I know thirty! I had the great opportunity to meet the oldest person in Outjo who can still understand when being spoken to even though she is set to turn 103 soon! I met the oldest Lutheran pastor, which turned out to be the parent of one of my coworkers. I met men who where 97 with more spunk then most 25 year old. Men and women who are too old to find regular employment but continue to make a living repairing old chairs or selling other good they have made. I was just amazed at the fact that these are some of the people who helped fight for Namibia’s freedom. They have been there for the ugly and terrible times and are still alive to tell about it.

Although I learned that my language skills still need a lot of work, through the translations I was able to learn so much about these amazing people. I know I wasn’t the best sport in the beginning of the day but at the end I really felt honored and blessed to have had this opportunity and could not wait for the next opportunity to bond with these wonderful people. Who would have thought when I agreed to join the Peace Corps and move to Africa that this is what I would be doing. I love the uncertainty of my life here in Outjo and that each day is different than the one before. I honestly can never guess what tomorrow will bring.

The photos of Outjo’s elders will be printed and put on display in the Outjo Museum for tourists who pass through and may want to donate to the Pensioner’s Committee to help fund activities, I know I cannot post all the photos on here but if anyone is interested in seeing the photos or donating to the Pensioner’s Committee please contact me.

No comments: