Friday, April 11, 2008

Live from Windhoek...luckily

So well leave it to the boys to talk me into silly things. So four of us (PCVs, Chaz, Dave, Chris-the voice and me) were heading to Windhoek for training for VSN-Volunteer Support Network, a committee that we got accepted to. We were super excited and after looking in Otjiwarongo for over an hour for a free hike Chaz came through with a great ride that looked pretty safe. We climbed in the back of the truck with our luggage and the 3 consultants’ luggage and headed to Windhoek. We were about 20 km outside of Okahandja when we came over a hill and Chaz said “oh look a baboon” at that moment rather than looking at the baboon I looked at the road as I was against the tailgate door facing my friends. I saw that we were quickly approaching a stopped vehicle and not stopping in time “We are gonna hit” was all I could say and then bam, we were in our first Namibian car accident. Rather than pulling off to the side of the road to take a picture of the baboon the German tourists decided that stopping in the middle of the road on a blind hill would be smart. Everyone is ok and more of less injure free. The boys were my pillow so I’m great but the boys have some bruises for when we all kinda hit each other. Luckily a nice couple from Ondangwa stopped 30 minutes later and gave us a ride to Windhoek so we weren’t stuck in the middle of nowhere on the B1. As far as accidents go we are so very LUCKY and we know it. Had there been someone behind us I would not be writing this, Dave and I probably would not have survived or if the driver decided to try to go around the Germans we would have hit on coming traffic or we would have went on the soft shoulder and for sure flipped at that speed and well that would not have ended well. God was certainly watching over us yesterday.

Oh, weirdest thing the Germans’ back windshield was destroyed and our truck like a champ. With all the car parts and windows on the hood of our car there was a lone avocado sitting on the windshield wipers, funny huh, glass and an avocado.

No comments: