Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Whoa my parent’s in Namibia

First impressions: “There is nothing out here” – so true
First meal: kudu pie – someone told my mom not to find out what a kudu actually looked like cause then she should eat it, haha
First morning: freezing cold shower – welcome to Namibia : )
First day: no credit cards work properly so relying on a Peace Corps salary – welcome to my life; lots of men with guns, small boarder control rooms, a variety of African body odor – I’m sure my parent’s were thinking why did we come here?

Yeah, my parent’s trip got off to a great start needless to say. To me it was funny cause this is my life but I can understand and appreciate their concern. Our first adventure was Victoria Falls, which was so beautiful. So loud and so wet but wow amazing. We spent that night in Katima where we did a Zambezi River tour and went looking for hippos, a nice relaxing night and we got lucky with a few hippos. From Katima we drove to Tsumeb stopping in Rundu where Justin a fellow PCV showed my parent’s a traditional Kavango meal. We ate lunch at a shack with a goat hanging from the wall preparing for the next meal. They gladly ate their pop (porridge) and random meats. It was wonderful.
Etosha was amazing we saw so many animals; a herd of like 25 elephants crossed the road right in front of our car. Many times we had to stop as the giraffes, zebras, springbok, elands or gemsbok got out of the road. It was really cool. In the evening we did a night game drive where we got to witness a territorial struggle of rhinos, a pride of lions and a spotted hyena. Seriously without seeing a leopard I still left the park completely satisfied.
Opuwo was great for my parents to see the traditional Himba life, yes it’s a little awkward doing one of those touristy Himba tours but I’m glad my parent’s got to see one of the very traditional people of Namibia. It was also nice to show my parents around the Kunene Region, my home basically, Outjo, Kamanjab, Opuwo and Khorixas and the fellow PCVs in those areas. After Khorixas my parents got their first taste of dirt roads as we went the long way to Swakopmund, for a few hours there was nothing or no one in site, I mean it was really us and the desert.
From Swakopmund we saw the giant red sand dunes of Sossusvlei, which brought great entertainment as my mom attempted to climb the sand dune. After the dunes we headed to Luderitz to see the penguins and the diamond ghost town and finally back to Windhoek. Overall my parents got an amazing look at a large majority of this beautiful country. It was a lot of road time but hey this is a big place it’s kinda what you have to do if you want to see it.

No comments: