Monday, February 18, 2008

lessons learned in the last 48 hours...

1. Never go grocery shopping when you are starving and about to go into the bush for two weeks, you will spend an ungodly amount of money (money which you do not actually have in the PC)

2. Never complain about not having anything to do because you will be shocked with the jobs you are given there after. Today I was in charge of fixing our computer's internet (I know nothing about computers, especially things that aren't Mac) and then I was dropped of at the local primary school to give health education....on what?????? so i walked in to 65 smiling faces (grades 1 and 4) and just laughed my way through a talk on hand washing and brushing your teeth...hope that's what I was suppose to talk about

3. Never assume just cause you were dropped off for a work function that you will be picked up, I really appreciated sitting on the corner waiting to recognize anyone who would be driving to the hospital, I wanted to walk but my counterpart refused

4. Once you question where the "other" computers in your hospital are that the Regional Medical Officer assures you are in use somewhere (although you have searched high and low in all of your hospital grounds and couldn't find the computers in question) they will magically show up in your office, with a new printer....hm....how did that happen and where did it come from

5. Never assume you know what is in your PC med kit, actually look through it weekly cause you'll forget what the great PCMOs have provided for you, I have been trying my best not to scratch my skin off that is covered in bug bites and last night I found two different sets of anti-itch bug bite cream in my med kit, whoops my bad, i guess that would've been helpful

2 comments:

Mie1 said...

Amanda,


Just think in another year or so you can actually boast that you have seen , eaten and lived Africa ... and been eaten by things African .... even if they were only mosquitoes.

On the other hand: Imagine the poor kids when they saw you for the first time and - despite the language lessons - could not understand. Sign language, smiles and hand .... they all tell a wonderful story ... and never lie.

Stefanie said...

Hello! I'm a fellow volunteer from nearby South Africa! Been here since July 2007. How long have you been in Namibs? Me and three other PCVs from South Africa are coming to Namibia for our March/April holidays. Any suggestions?
-Stefanie
natalilys.blogspot.com