Saturday, September 13, 2008

new job skills?

After work on Thursday I was changing my clothes to get ready for my run when someone tried to walk into my apartment. Luckily my door has a latch like the kind hotels have and so the person was unsuccessful. Worried I tried to dress faster, then someone attempted to come in again, and again. I finally yelled out "yes, who is it?", no response. I finally open my door and find my neighbor, the Cuban doctor and one of the elderly men. They both look at me in surprise, like shocked I'm outside (hello you were just trying to come into my house). I discover that they needed my assistance for communication purposes (what?). I'm a little shocked since I don't speak Afrikaans and my two years of high school Spanish hardly qualify me to say anything other then what time is it and where is the bathroom. For the next ten minutes the Afrikaaner man, soon joined by a women, speak to the Cuban through me. Of course what's so ridiculous about this is the man is speaking to me in English and I'm speaking to the Cuban in English so I'm not sure why I was necessary. I guess I have a new job skill now, translating/communicating for those who are too lazy to try. Seriously, what a weird afternoon.

No comments: