Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Some of the things that have changed since arriving in Namibia:

- Walking for four or more hours in one day is no longer exercise but part of the job and a normal day.

- Someone proposing to me is no longer flattering but rather annoying. Also, saying yes is sometimes my only entertainment of the day.

- Snakes are mythical creatures to me, everyone tells stories of them and they tell me to be careful and what not but I still have yet to see one of these many snakes, so I put them in the same class as the boogeyman, unicorns and leprechauns.

- Being asked for money by my co-workers is no longer tolerated since I make way less then they do, which I know for a fact since I helped with the hospital budget.

- Talking about bodily fluids is totally acceptable conversation.

- I’m done being polite or nice, I don’t say “yes” to everything asked of me.

- Sometimes I play spider solitaire for hours to pass the time or to give me a break from work just like my co-workers, I feel it’s integration : )

- Like Namibians, I’m all about the freebies, t-shirts, food, tango (phone credit), hats, umbrellas, if it’s free I’m there!

- I floss my teeth just to have something to do during the night.

- Electronics breaking are no longer life shattering. As long as I still have something that semi-works life will be ok. The drama of them breaking has lost it’s thrill as it’s become an everyday occurrence. Currently I only have a shuffle that works and sometimes a camera.

- Personal hygiene is a thing of the past. I no longer care what I look like, at all. I don’t dress up for work anymore and I wear the same outfit everyday, it cuts down on laundry. Also, wearing things covered in dirt is totally acceptable cause even if I wash something it doesn’t stay clean long enough to make it worth it.

- Bugs and flies on my face doesn’t really get to me, except when a bug gets stuck between my face and my glasses, that’s kinda annoying.

- I’m not a clean freak anymore, I honestly have not cleaned my kitchen since arriving in January.

- Anytime I leave Outjo I consider it a vacation and will act like a tourist.

- I don’t really pay attention to people begging for money in front of the grocery store, I’ve seen this place for what it really is and the really poor people don’t have a way to get to the grocery store to ask for money and they are so food deprived that they don’t have enough strength to sit there all day long and pester tourists.

- I still find it odd when people ask “How long have you been here” my real answer is over 10 months. It totally doesn’t feel like it and were has the time gone.

No comments: